Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Nick Giannaras Interview


The following is part of a marketing co-op for a writing group I am a member of. I will be posting several interviews during the month of October in return for my interview being posted by each of the people interviewed. I have NOT read any of Nick’s work. His appearance here is merely an invitation for you to check him out, not an endorsement. Also, I did not supply the questions. (You’ll notice we all used the same questions.)

For my next interview, please welcome Nick Giannaras, who will be posting my interview at Relics of Nanthara.

Q: How long have you been writing?
A: I’ve been writing actively for five years.

Q: Where do you get your ideas for your stories?
A: My first novel actually came from an old Dungeons & Dragons game I ran years ago. The rest come in various ways: a title, a song, a movie, a verbal idea from my kids, and pure imagination.

Q: Who is your favorite author?
A: I don’t have a favorite, but I do own multiple books from Dennis L. McKiernan, Graham Taylor, and Donita K. Paul.

Q: Have you dealt with writer's block? If so, how did you overcome it?
A: Hmmm, the main way I deal with it is I sit down with my wife and verbally discuss the story up to the sticking point. On many occasions she has come up with an idea or a tidbit that sparks new ideas for the story to continue. Gotta love her!

Q: Do you find a part of your personality sneaking into any of your characters?
A: Yes. In my trilogy, Relics of Nanthara, I’ve found several of my traits in more than one character. Odd that it played out like that, but I try to spread the love.

Q: Do you use outlines or let the story develop on its own?
A: I’ve done both. Most of the time, it flows on its own.

Q: What do you want your readers to take from your book(s)?
A: I want their hearts touched by what the characters experience to the point of wanting to change their own lives for the better. Although it is YA, I try not to sugar coat the stories, and I am not afraid to portray real world strife and horror in my stories. It’s not hidden from the kids today, so why hide the truth in words?

Q: Can you share any upcoming projects with us?
A: Currently, I am finishing up Relics of Nanthara: Dawn of the Apocalypse, Book 3 in the trilogy, and I have several other projects in the works at various stages of completion. One is a Sci-Fi superhero, The Nuclear Fist Chronicles; three take place in Nanthara, The Onyx Tomes (taking place 30 years after the trilogy); Sons of the Trident (most likely a trilogy); and We Came To Die (a mercenary seeking revenge after being left for dead). I also have a historical fiction, Enemy Within The Ranks.

Q: With a full schedule, how do you find time to write?
A: I write in between patients, at home during quiet times, and when the kids are in bed. Even when we go out of town, the laptop is with me.

Q: When creating a character, where do you begin? Do you give them a background even if it may never be mentioned in the storyline?
A: The name usually comes out first with an image of the character in my head. The background usually comes later.

Q: What is your writing routine? Do you need peace and quiet, soft music, or does it matter?
A: I prefer quiet with music relating to the genre/story I’m writing about playing softly in the background. It helps get the juices flowing.

Q: Where can readers find your books and contact information?
A: For The Relics of Nanthara trilogy, my website is relicsofnanthara.weebly.com. Once the others show, I will either create a separate site or link them.

No comments:

Post a Comment